Black Expo America - Event Cancelled

I had signed up to participate as a vendor for the Black America Expo on January 2, 2018 for an event that was to happen in November 2018.

I paid in FULL. By April the event was cancelled, with NO reschedule date.

I waited and waited and here I am in August with OVER 35 EMAIL discussion about NO money, about your REFUND is coming in June, then July, and Now August. I still have NO MONEY returned and the phone is disconnected, no email replies..

and still no money. I have been the most patient and understanding business woman and for me to have been this to no avail, I will be taking this to court.

Product or Service Mentioned: Black Expo America Owner.

Reason of review: Refund for cancelled event.

Comments

It's November. Have you received a refund yet?

Avoid Mark Anthony Jenkins’ Black Expo America.

Additional Fees
Turnaround Time

Mark Anthony Jenkins is the Founder, CEO & President of Black Expo America. As someone who is very acquainted with Mr. Jenkins’ mostly disastrous events, I want to warn anyone considering buying a table at his events. First, Mr. Jenkins is a well-meaning person who cares deeply about the African American community. In the past, he was president of a New York City Black Chambers of Commerce, and several similar organizations that focus on economic development in the Black community.

Mark Anthony Jenkins is a man with a vision and big dreams. Unfortunately, Mark Anthony Jenkins does not have the management team, corporate sponsorship or leadership skills to successfully run events like a Black Expo. His events are poorly organized, poorly advertised and poorly attended. Mr. Jenkins lacks corporate sponsors so he has to use the money from vendor sales to pay for the venue.

On more than one occasion, a venue has refused to allow Mr. Jenkins’ event to proceed because all the necessary fees were not paid in a timely manner.

At the March 17th, 2018, Baltimore Black Women’s Expo, vendors had to wait three hours before they were allowed in the Reginald F. Lewis Museum to set up for the event. On Facebook, as the event was underway, Mr. Jenkins was still seeking vendors to do the event.

Mark Anthony Jenkins has also been known to cancel or change the date of the events at the last minute leaving vendor scrambling to change their plans. Those who request refunds sometimes wait weeks before getting a refund if they get one.

Before you invest your money in Black Expo America, ask for a vendor list from previous Black Expos so you can interview vendors about their experience. Peace.

Product or Service Mentioned: Black Expo America Owner.

Comments

Definitely a fraud and a thief. Unfortunately, I was part of the ridiculousness and mess that happened at the Baltimore event.

Afterwards I maintained professionalism and gave Mr. Anthony ample time to provide a refund that he promised (I have emails) and never received. I attempted to go through my bank and received an initial refund however, they took it back because they could not recover the funds from Black Expo America or Mark Anthony. Now I cannot find any information on him or a contact online.

Great way to support your community by stealing from them.

Lesson learned however, I believe that what goes around comes around. What you did will come back to you sir.

to Janis #1603020

Mike Johnson’s have a lot of great ideas how ever he lacks organizational managment skills. He is all over the place and takes on more than he can handle without any proper strategic planning. I know this because I was going to work with him on NY events, but I backed out when I saw the confusion.

to Mimee #1617868

Mark Anthony Jenkins is definitely all over the place. When you meet him, he is breathless with excitement about all the plans he has to revive some defunct Black newspaper or organization.

Yet Mark Anthony Jenkins is incapable of staying with one project long enough to make it successful more than once. I know many professionals who did business with Mark Anthony Jenkins in the past (e.g., printers, promoters, radio personalities, etc.) that won’t do business with him anymore. I glad to see his website Black Expo America is offline. Maybe Mark Anthony has finally gotten the memo that he needs to stop.

I wouldn’t count on him keeping his promise to pay back any money, however. Mark Anthony knew from experience that he didn’t have enough revenue to produce these Black Expos. Yet he still took money from vendors anyway. Shame on him.

The best one can do is suing him through small claims court. You do not need a lawyer and there are companies online that will help you do it.

Spread the word. Don’t let Mark Anthony Jenkins take advantage of anyone else.

Desiree Desiree

Mark Jenkins of Black Expo is FRAUDULENT on the backs of the trust and desire to support Black businesses. MARK JENKINS STOLE my money as a vendor that was not selling any items but was told I had to pay for a table to get a table at the event as my organization distributed information regarding Breast Cancer in the African American community and the disparities in health care that create a higher mortality rate in black women.

View more comments